The Tainui anchor was raised from the bed Mokau River in 1927

The Tainui anchor was raised from the bed Mokau River in 1927, from the area called Tokopapa; now known as the Flower pot. It was used for tying up waka (canoes) when they where not in use. The stone weighted approximately 450-500 pounds and its shaped resembles a dumb-bell. At the time it was raised it was not known if it was brought here by Waka or made here, so scraping from the stone where examined, the finding was that it was made of local material that abounds in that particular spot. The anchor is now embedded in concrete at Maniaroa Cemetery which is a 1 Km north of Mokau town ship. The anchor stone is one of the many land marks of Tainui Territory ;Nag Tohu O Tainuiā€.